On a long road trip to South Dakota for a pheasant hunt my friend Kirstie and I were getting tired. We had been fighting snowy road conditions for many hours. I dug around in the cooler and found a couple of energy drinks. After drinking these?ok, choking them down Kirstie and I called the manufacturer to tell them just how bad they tasted and how they made both of us feel jittery and sick to our stomachs. The sugar and caffeine made us feel a bit more energized for a time but it was a false sense of security and soon we felt worse than before we drank the energy drink.
After that experience I was hesitant when the 5- Hour Energy? people asked me to look at their product from a hunting perspective. I received a few samples in the mail and read the ingredients, which include but are not limited to.
- Vitamin B6 which helps our nervous system function properly increases the amount of oxygen carried in our blood and aids in the processing of carbohydrates for energy.
- B12 which helps in the production of amino acids, and the processing of carbohydrates into energy.
- Niacin (B3) is important in energy production. It plays a key role in converting fats, proteins, carbohydrates and starches into usable energy. It also helps remove toxic chemicals from the body, and has been shown to increase the level of HDL (good cholesterol) in the blood.
- Tyrosine, an amino acid that transmits nerve impulses to the brain, elevates mood, improves memory and increases mental alertness.
- Caffeine: The original formula has the same amount of caffeine as one cup of premium coffee.
As a hunter I appreciate the portable quality of this. It is only 2 ounces and sealed well. I can throw it in my daypack and head out for a long hard day of walking. I like the taste of the orange flavor, but even if I didn’t 2 ounces is an easy way to get quick energy.
One of my favorite benefits from 5-Hour Energy is that I don’t get that jittery feeling and am not worried that my aim will be blown.
The directions recommended by the manufacturer for using 5-Hour Energy are as follows.
RECOMMENDED USE: Drink one half (1/2) bottle (one ounce) for moderate energy. Drink one whole bottle (two ounces) for maximum energy. Do not exceed two bottles of 5-Hour Energy shots daily, consumed several hours apart. Use or discard any remainder within 72 hours (three days) after opening. Refrigeration not required.
CAUTION: Contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Limit caffeine products to avoid nervousness, sleeplessness, and occasional rapid heartbeat. You may experience a Niacin Flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin (Vitamin B3) increasing blood flow near the skin.
Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing, or under 12 years of age.
For more go to: 5-Hour Energy