Sponsored by, ThermaCELL, ACCESS Original Roll-Up Cover, and BowTube.com.


The group of gobblers and hens returned to the area on the opposite end of the field, where they went  under the fence and into the trees.  Twenty minutes later Fred (Lutger) and I noticed activity in the corn stubble field next to our field. The wind was blowing from us to the turkeys so I inserted the aluminum lid in my Commando Combo pot Call. I wanted the sound to carry extra far.  I ripped off half a dozen loud clucks.

Immediately, we heard multiple gobbles and in minutes 4 longbeards and a hen sashayed out of the trees and looked our way. Some other turkeys were still in the trees and dried grass.


Two more hens promptly joined the group.


I switched to yelps and purrs and one of the hens separated herself from the small group and started up hill, walking toward our decoys.


One of the gobblers was a different strutter that had a feather missing fro its tail fan. This one was an Eastern gobbler and he put the moves on the other two hens.


He tried his best to mate with one of the hens. They stayed around him for a couple of minutes and then pushed on and left him.


Meanwhile, another Eastern, this one with an all “White Head” and  extra long beard, caught up to the 3rd hen and followed her.


Good news! They were walking uphill and getting closer to our three decoys. I purred on the Commando and the White Head longbeard answered with a boisterous gobble. Straight away the other gobblers sounded off and started towards the “White Head”. I purred on the Commando and the hen gave a series of here I come type yelps.

Fred checked them with his Range Finder and whispered they were 34 yards away … and getting closer.


The gobbler advanced slow but steady to 20 yards. I couldn’t resist it, I had to take one last picture of this unique gobbler.


And then picked my bow up off the BowSticx Bow Bipod that holds my bow ready when I ground blind hunt and hooked my Fletch Hook on the string loop.

I looked back at the turkeys. The hen was almost to the hen decoy. White Head was closer yet, probably 15 yards.

I pulled my Chill R to full draw and put my top pin on the vitals … and triggered the release.

Whop !!!

The impact broke my arrow and the longer section of it caught my eye as it zipped of sharply the left. The arrow had walloped one of the blind’s carbon poles. It broke the shaft and went extremely off course.

White Head and the wild turkeys were as startled as I was.

They retreated at rocket speed to the area near the distant fence.