Feral hogs are an unwanted menace to farmers and ranchers but they definitely are tasty if cooked right. Wild Game Cooking expert Jesse Griffiths, author of “Afield: A Chef’s Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish,” turns these wild pigs into a melt-in-your-mouth southwestern classic, Tacos.
For recipe details, wildlife information, and places to hunt, see
- 2-3 pounds of feral hog shoulder or leg, bone-in.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 TBSP chipotle powder, or more to taste.
- 1 TBSP brown sugar.
- 1 TBSP dried oregano.
- 1 TBSP cumin seed.
- 2-3 onions, chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- Season the hog with salt, pepper, chipotle spice, brown sugar, oregano and cumin.
- Rub the spice mix all over the top, bottom and sides of the meat.
- Place the chopped onions in an ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid and place the hog on top.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid and bake for 6-8 hours, or until completely tender.
- Serve with corn tortillas, pico de gallo and guacamole.
From “Afield: A Chef’s Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish”
By Jesse Griffiths